Mexican Black Bean & Buckwheat Bake
Nutrition per serving
- Preheat oven to 220 °
- Core and chop the pepper in to bite-sized pieces.
- Peel/finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Finely chop the jalapeño.
- Drain/rinse black beans in a sieve.
- Finely chop the chives.
- Place the peppers into a bowl with ½ a tbsp of olive oil. Layer onto a baking tray and cook near the top of the oven for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Bring 180ml of water to a gentle boil. Add the stock pot and stir to dissolve. Add the buckwheat, bring back to a gentle boil and place the lid on top. Lower heat to low and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to rest without removing the lid.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ a tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook for about 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds before adding the black beans and cooking for a further minute.
- Use a fork to fluff up the buckwheat and separate the grains. Add the buckwheat and peppers to the black bean mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the mixture out into a lightly greased oven-proof dish and cook near the top of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of chives.